While some of us get to spend these weeks in the comfort of our homes — with family or on our own — many workers are out there on the frontlines of the pandemic to help keep us safe, provide essential services + protect our community’s health during these trying and difficult times.
“We want to take time today to share some of the community resources and perks available to frontline workers, as well as some opportunities for the community to show their appreciation for the work these professionals are doing. Bonus: you’ll be supporting some of our local businesses, too.”
○ Happy + Hale is offering frontline hospital workers their Kindness Bowl, made with herb roasted chicken, warm black beans, brown rice + tomatillo vinaigrette. You can send a bowl to a frontline hospital worker for $5 by ordering here. 🥗
○ The North Carolina Healthcare Association is partnering with local restaurants to provide healthy + comforting meals to frontline healthcare workers. This effort helps in two ways — by supporting small businesses affected by the current pandemic and ensuring that medical professionals get the nourishment they need during this busy time. Donors can also write a note of encouragement and appreciation that will be delivered with the meal. Learn more about how to donate here. 🍲
○ Triangle on the Cheap has created a list of businesses and organizations offering deals and free items for frontline workers. Click here to see the updated list, including Crocs (yes, the shoes), donuts, discounts on gas and groceries + free coffee from Sola Coffee Cafe and select Starbucks locations. ⛽
○ As part of a new initiative from local coffee roaster Joe Van Gogh, Fuel for the Frontlines is coordinating donations of coffee + baked goods for healthcare professionals at UNC Hospital (Chapel Hill), Duke Hospital (Raleigh and Durham, grocery workers at Whole Foods, Food Lion, and Weaver Street Market (Durham and Chapel Hill), and first responders with the Durham Police Department. Community members can help support these efforts. ☕
○ Hawkers Asian Street Fare in Chapel Hill is now offering free delivery when you order online + 50% off for service industry workers, excluding the family meals. Just mention that you are a service industry worker when you are ordering.
○ Krispy Kreme is offering healthcare workers free donuts every Monday through National Nurses Week (May 6-12). If you go through the drive-thru window + show them your employee badge, you can get your free donuts. 🍩