We get it — city parking can be confusing. But it shouldn’t deter you from going downtown (there are 70+ places to park). We’ve put together some tips and tricks for parking + getting around in the City of Oaks.
Before you head downtown
- Download the Passport Parking app to pay for parking with ease. Most metered spots use this app, so you can leave your quarters at home.
- Plan where to leave your car using the City of Raleigh’s interactive parking map or the Downtown Raleigh Alliance’s list of parking decks and lots.
Before you park
- This one may seem obvious, but read the signs. Parking is enforced 24 hours a day.
- If you’re still not sure if you can park in a certain spot, call the parking office (919-996-3996) to ask.
- Starting July 1, the fee for safety violations or parking in restricted neighborhoods in Glenwood South will be raised from a $30 fine to $200 every day, from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- Parking is free in all of the downtown area’s metered spots (including Glenwood South) from 6 p.m. to 8 a.m., Monday through Friday.
- Parking is free in the Hillsborough District (NC State area) from 8 p.m. to 8 a.m. Monday through Friday.
- Parking is free downtown all day on Saturdays, Sundays + observed holidays.
Avoid parking all together
- Find your Go Raleigh bus here.
- Rent a bike from one of the 32 Cardinal Bikeshare stations to pedal around our beautiful city. Unsure where you’re allowed to bike? Check out this resource.
- Find your closest e-scooter parking corral + grab some wheels to zoom around town. Raleigh has Lime and Spin scooters.