Maybe you have some extra time on your hands, or maybe you’re just in the giving spirit. All we know is there are more than enough great causes in Raleigh to give your time to. Whether you’re an animal lover, an artsy type, a natural mentor, or a healthcare enthusiast — there’s a nearby volunteer opportunity for you. Here are 30+ ways to get involved in the City of Oaks.
Natural-born teachers + mentors
- Wake Harvest | Empower students (ages 8-18) to reach their full potential through youth mentorship programs; this group meets one Saturday each month.
- Cultural Outreach and Enrichment Program | Teach English as a Second Language (ESL) and discover the ethnic + cultural richness of Wake County.
- NC Council on Developmental Disabilities | Become a peer mentor for someone with disabilities.
- National Alliance on Mental Illness | Become an instructor or facilitator of support groups through the NAMI chapter serving Wake County.
- NC Library for the Blind and Physically Handicapped | Volunteer to read or record audiobooks for members in this community — you can give as little as an hour a month or as much as an hour a day.
- Wake County Public Libraries | Become an ambassador for library programming or donate gently-used books to your nearest WCPL.
- Read and Feed | Participate in child literacy programs as a tutor, mobile classroom driver, or material delivery.
If you want to stay in your home
- Make-A-Wish | Donate airline miles (and other gifts) to children participating in Eastern NC’s Make-A-Wish program.
- The Salvation Army | Arrange for a contactless pick-up of donated items like clothes, furniture, and household goods.
- SAFEChild | Get crafty and knit a newborn cap or make a no-sew double-sided fleece blanket for children fleeing from abuse + neglect.
If you’re an animal lover
- PIPs Rescue | Support this rescue center that takes in dogs with special needs and urgent medical cases by fostering.
- SPCA of Wake County | Sign up to help homeless animals feel loved by becoming a dog walker, assisting with grooming, and much more.
- Wake County Animal Center | Nurture less fortunate pets with countless opportunities to help out around the shelter.
- SAFE Haven for Cats | More of a feline friend? Donate your time by becoming part of the litter box team, fostering a kitten, or helping with events.
If you’re the outdoorsy type
- Clean Jordan Lake | Get your hands dirty for a good cause and participate in shore sweeps for this community-driven organization.
- Bee Downtown | As a corporate leader, sign your team up for the Bee Downtown Corporate Hive Program to learn what all the buzz is about with saving bees.
- Preservation NC | Donate or volunteer to help save places in NC with significance. Volunteer opportunities include taking pictures + helping with special events.
- Raleigh Cleanup | Help our city stay litter-free by signing up for a cleanup.
If you’re a social butterfly
- Junior League of Raleigh | Find the volunteer opportunity that fits you through this organization of women committed to promoting volunteerism.
- Activate Good | Get matched with a people-powered project in the community.
- LGBT Center of Raleigh | Participate in outreach for Raleigh’s LGBTQ+ community or volunteer at special events.
The artsy types
- Artspace | Share your time + talents by assisting with event support and classes at this nonprofit visual arts center.
- NCMA | Instill the love + appreciation of art in others by becoming a park guide or by leading workshops at this art museum with 168 acres of park and open spaces.
- Artsplosure | Support art and culture by assisting with pre-festival or event day prep at events like Artsplosure + WRAL First Night.
If you want to help your neighbors in need
- Note in the Pocket | Volunteer as a group or individual to sort and fold clothes at this nonprofit providing quality clothing to homeless and impoverished children + families.
- Oak City Cares | Provide food for upcoming holiday dinners or become a weekend host for neighbors experiencing homelessness.
- Green Chair Project | Transform the living spaces of those in need by dropping off or scheduling a furniture pick up.
If you live and breathe Raleigh
- Habitat for Humanity | Help build homes for the community or volunteer at one of the ReStore locations.
- Dix Park Conservancy | Lend a hand at community events or participate in stewardship opportunities at one of Raleigh’s largest parks.
- Adopt-a-Highway | Help keep our roads clean by picking up litter through Keep NC Beautiful.
- Family Promise | Help families experiencing temporary homelessness achieve safe, affordable housing by assisting with maintenance projects and proving emergency shelter as a host.
If you’re a mental health advocate
- InterACT | Donate goods for women escaping domestic violence situations or volunteer.
- New Leaf Behavioral Health | Volunteer to support with administrative, educational, and outreach projects at this mental health organization.
- Mental Health America of Central Carolinas | Become a friend, companion, or peer to someone struggling with mental illness.
Don’t see anything that fits your interests? Check out VolunteerMatch — a resource that helps you find local volunteer opportunities suited to your preferences.