Maybe you have some extra time on your hands, or maybe you’re just in the giving spirit. All we know is there are more than enough great causes in Raleigh to give your time to. Whether you’re an animal lover, an artsy type, a natural mentor, or a healthcare enthusiast — there’s a nearby volunteer opportunity for you. Here are 35+ ways to get involved in the City of Oaks.
Natural-born teachers + mentors
- Cultural Outreach and Enrichment Program | Teach English as a Second Language (ESL) and discover the ethnic + cultural richness of Wake County.
- National Alliance on Mental Illness | Become an instructor or facilitator of support groups through the NAMI chapter serving Wake County.
- NC Library for the Blind and Physically Handicapped | Volunteer to read or record audiobooks for members in this community — you can give as little as an hour a month or as much as an hour per day.
- Read and Feed | Participate in child literacy programs as a tutor, mobile classroom driver, or material delivery.
- Wake County Public Libraries | Become an ambassador for library programming or donate gently used books to your nearest WCPL.
If you want to stay in your home
- Make-A-Wish | Donate airline miles (and other gifts) to children participating in Eastern NC’s Make-A-Wish program.
- SAFEChild | Get crafty and knit a newborn cap or make a no-sew double-sided fleece blanket for children fleeing from abuse + neglect.
- The Salvation Army | Arrange for a contactless pick-up of donated items like clothes, furniture, and household goods.
If you’re an animal lover
- PIPs Rescue | Support this rescue center that takes in dogs with special needs and urgent medical cases by fostering, transporting, or lending a hand with administration work.
- SAFE Haven for Cats | More of a feline friend? Donate your time by becoming part of the litter box team, fostering a kitten, or helping with events.
- SPCA of Wake County | Sign up to help homeless animals feel loved by becoming a dog walker, assisting with grooming, and much more.
- Wake County Animal Center | Nurture less fortunate pets with countless opportunities to help out around the shelter.
If you’re the outdoorsy type
- Bee Downtown | As a corporate leader, sign your team up for the Bee Downtown Corporate Hive Program to learn how to save bees + what all the buzz is about.
- Clean Jordan Lake | Get your hands dirty for a good cause and participate in shore sweeps for this community-driven organization.
- Preservation NC | Donate or volunteer to help save places in NC with significance. Volunteer opportunities include taking pictures + helping with special events.
- The Great Raleigh Cleanup | Help our city stay litter free by signing up for, or hosting, a local cleanup.
If you’re a social butterfly
- Activate Good | Get matched with a people-powered project in the community.
- Junior League of Raleigh | Find a volunteer opportunity that fits you through this organization of women committed to promoting volunteerism.
- LGBT Center of Raleigh | Participate in outreach for Raleigh’s LGBTQ+ community or volunteer at special events.
The artsy types
- Artspace | Share your time + talents by assisting with event support and classes at this nonprofit visual arts center.
- Artsplosure | Support art and culture by assisting with pre-festival or event day prep at events like Artsplosure + WRAL First Night.
- NCMA | Instill the love + appreciation of art in others by becoming a park guide or by leading workshops at this art museum with 168 acres of park and open spaces.
If you want to help your neighbors in need
- Green Chair Project | Transform the living spaces of those in need by dropping off or scheduling a furniture pick up.
- Meals on Wheels | Dedicate one to two hours of your day to help feed an older or disabled neighbor in our community.
- Note in the Pocket | Volunteer as a group or individual to sort and fold clothes at this nonprofit providing quality clothing to homeless and impoverished children + families.
- Oak City Cares | Provide food for upcoming holiday dinners or become a weekend host for neighbors experiencing homelessness.
- Rise Against Hunger | Organize a meal-packing event through your local organization.
If you live and breathe Raleigh
- Adopt-a-Highway | Help keep our roads clean by picking up litter through Keep NC Beautiful.
- A Place at the Table | Clock in and join the weekly volunteer schedule at Raleigh’s first pay-what-you-can cafe.
- Dix Park Conservancy | Lend a hand at community events or participate in stewardship opportunities at one of Raleigh’s largest parks.
- Family Promise | Help families experiencing temporary homelessness achieve safe, affordable housing by assisting with maintenance projects and providing emergency shelter as a host.
- Habitat for Humanity | Help build homes for the community or volunteer at one of the ReStore locations.
- Raleigh Dream Center | There are plenty of opportunities to give back to this residential addiction recovery program — join a street outreach group to deliver care packages, provide support to children, or help sort food donations at the warehouse.
If you’re a mental health advocate
- InterACT | Donate goods for women escaping domestic violence situations or volunteer.
- Mental Health America of Central Carolinas | Become a friend, companion, or peer to someone struggling with mental illness.
- New Leaf Behavioral Health | Volunteer to support administrative, educational, and outreach projects at this mental health organization.
Don’t see anything that fits your interests? Check out VolunteerMatch — a resource that helps you find local volunteer opportunities suited to your preferences.