The end of May means the beginning of summer (which officially starts on June 21 but who’s counting), so that means it’s time to break out the bug spray, grill, and sunscreen.
It’s also time to figure out what your next pool or beach read is, so we’ve compiled five recently released reads by authors with ties to Raleigh + North Carolina to get you started.
- “The Other Black Girl” by Zakiya Dalila Harris | Nella Rogers is the only Black employee at Wagner Books — until Harlem-born Hazel arrives and becomes the office darling.
- “Perpetual West” by Mesha Maren | A young married couple journeys to live on the Texas + Mexico border, where they discover they never really knew each other at all.
- “The Last House on the Street” by Diane Chamberlain | Two NC women are a generation apart but united in finding the truth about their town’s chilling history.
- “French Braid” by Anne Tyler | The Pulitzer Prize–winning author delivers a new novel about a family’s first and last family vacation in the summer of 1959.
- “Portrait of a Thief” by Grace D. Li | Harvard senior Will Chen must put together a heist crew to steal five priceless pieces of Chinese art.