Last week, we asked you how soon you’d feel safe getting back to life post-COVID, and nearly 900 of you responded to share your feelings about returning to the office, dining in restaurants, attending indoor + outdoor events, vacation planning, and more.
Today, as NC enters phase two of reopening, we’re breaking down the data — and including some of your feedback for how NC can continue to reopen safely + where you’ll be heading first. Thanks again to The Hustle for providing the original inspo for our poll.
Here’s what you shared.
- Masks might make all the difference. The number one response to how businesses could make customers feel safe — mentioned more than 375 times — was to require people to wear one.
- You’re missing our local restaurants, independent shops, and hair salons the most. Reader Dawn K. said, “I miss eating out! However I’m feeling cautious about doing so” + Brian P. wrote in to say, “I NEED a haircut.” (We can relate… 💇)
- 27% of you could go back to work in an office now. Another 47% could be okay with it in one to six months.
- You’re ready for a road trip. 44% of you feel like you could take a local or regional vacay right now, and another 21% feel like you’ll be ready in one to two months.
- But it’s going to be awhile before you take that European vacation. 62% of you are planning to wait at least a year before travelling internationally.
- You’re on the fence about eating in restaurants or catching a flick on the big screen. 24% of you would go out to eat or see a movie right now + 20% in the next two months and 23% in the next six months. 17% of you want to wait until next year.
- You’re waiting a while longer on concerts and festivals though. 26% want to wait until next year for an outdoor show, and 47% of you won’t feel comfortable at an indoor event until 2021.
Check out the full results breakdown below. ⬇️
Here’s what else we learned.
While some of you are ready to get out and about now, others are opting to be patient — and most want to strike a balance between the two. Gabrielle S. wants to “reopen with the right controls in place, ensuring that those who are going out are safe but also that the vulnerable populations are considered.” And Joe A. says, “If we all work together, care for each other, try to talk constructively, consider other viewpoints, and stop bickering we might be able to move faster.”
Many of you mentioned getting a vaccine + doing more testing as factors that will make you feel safe — and some of you said that you don’t plan to do much until those are in place. Others expressed concerns about the economy and expressed support for local businesses.
And y’all miss plenty of other things too — including gyms, museums, coffee shops, and “my grandma’s nursing home” (Lori R.). We’re on the same page, Raleigh.
Want to know how other cities around the Southeast answered our poll? Keep scrolling to see responses from our sister markets in Asheville, Charleston, Columbia, Greenville, Chattanooga, and Lakeland. Want more details on our current reopening plan? Click here.