Planning a getaway? Check out Virginia Beach, VA, a coastal city rich in art, history, outdoor activities + mouth-watering cuisine.
City Editor Cat here. Growing up in Chesapeake, VA, ~24 minutes from Virginia Beach, I spent my summers by the coast eating fresh-caught seafood, soaking in beach sunsets, and biking along the three-mile boardwalk. Act like a local by following this summer getaway guide to VA Beach.
- Explore this coastal city where the Atlantic Ocean meets the Chesapeake Bay with activities fit for the whole family to enjoy.
- Close out the summer with the Neptune Festival (Fri., Sept. 20-Sun., Oct. 2) along the boardwalk with wine tastings, an air show, sandcastle competition (City Editor Cat’s favorite part), art show, and the Neptune parade.
- Try these three new foodie spots — Love Song, Three Notch’d Virginia Beach + Granier Bakery.
- Check out this vacation guide and this travel guide for more recommendations.
Act like a local:
- Food: Enjoy fresh seafood at The Atlantic on Pacific, right across from the oceanfront. We recommend the baked Oyster Chesapeake (oysters topped with roasted mushrooms, garlic, white wine + fontina).
- Drink: A taste of home. Visit The Raleigh Room at the Cavalier Resort for afternoon tea. The lounge is a sophisticated spot to sip on tea + cocktails or listen to live music. (Psst… look for Sir Walter Raleigh on the walls.)
- Outdoors: Rent a pontoon boat for the day from Bay Venture Boat Rentals (a boating license is not required).
- Coffee: For a cup of joe surrounded by surfer vibes head to Three Ships Coffee Roasters or Java Surf Café & Espresso Bar.
- Explore: Grab a fresh-made pastry from Sandbridge Seaside Market (209 Sandbridge Rd.) and head to Sandbridge Beach to watch the sunrise.
- Listen: Catch a free concert at 24th Street Park along the oceanfront (walk a few streets over to see the King Neptune statue at 31st Street).
Where to stay:
- Vrbo: Adorable beach cottage*, walking distance to the boardwalk (~$196/night)
- Airbnb: A homey condo near the Vibe Creative District (~$129/night)
- Splurge hotel: The Historic Cavalier Hotel (~$380/night)
Bonus message from our partner: If you’re looking to book this trip, Scott’s Cheap Flights offers all the affordable flight hacks from your home airport. Sign up here.*