Mandolin’s Bar Manager Kaylah Saffro concocted a one-of-a-kind cocktail exclusively for Drink Up Week. Once you try the “Knock Knock” — a summery drink topped with fresh blueberries and shiso leaves from Mandolin Farm — you’ll want to save this recipe for later.
- 1 ounce coconut milk*
- 1/4 ounce pineapple juice
- 2 ounces Kill Devil Light Rum (bonus: it’s a NC rum)
- 1 ounce blueberry compote*
- Shiso leaves
- 1/2 ounce coconut flakes, toasted
*For the coconut milk:
- 1 can coconut milk
- 4 cinnamon sticks
*For the blueberry compote:
- 1 quart blueberries
- 6 cups white sugar
- 6 cups water
- 2 cloves
- 1 nutmeg, grated
- Combine coconut milk ingredients in a non-reactive jar (like a mason jar). Leave in the fridge for at least six hours (or longer if you want more cinnamon flavor).
- Make the blueberry compote by combining and simmering the blueberries, white sugar, and water. Add cloves and grated nutmeg to taste.
- Combine coconut milk, pineapple juice + rum and shake with ice, then strain over fresh ice.
- Top with blueberry compote, shiso leaves + toasted coconut flakes.
Are you wondering where the cocktail’s name came from? “I love the idea of a guest saying ‘knock knock’ — the possibility of corny jokes is just endless,” Kaylah told RALtoday.