Have y’all heard about pickleball? If you haven’t, it’s kind of a big dill. Pickleball shares similarities with tennis, table tennis + badminton (as well as other paddle ball sports).
- It can be played indoors or outdoors.
- The court is badminton-sized (20’ x 44’) with a modified tennis net.
- The pickleball itself is made of plastic + has holes, like a wiffleball. The paddle is a little smaller than a tennis racquet.
- It can be played as doubles or singles – that means 2-4 people, for those of us who are racquet sports-challenged.
Where can you play in Raleigh?
- Raleigh Parks has 6 permanent outdoor pickleball courts located at Method Community Park (514 Method Rd.) open dusk-10 p.m.
- As of June 1, indoor open play pickleball resumed at Raleigh Parks indoor locations. A 4-month pass can be purchased for $10, and you can keep up with the schedules here.
- Find a list of upcoming pickleball programs and clinics by Tennisbloc here, geared toward adults + juniors, beginner through intermediate.
- If you’re interested in joining a pickleball league, this site has several listed in the area.