Happy October, Raleigh. 🎃 If you’re anything like us, you’re ecstatic about cool nights, spooky season, and crunchy leaves lining the streets — and with all that excitement, you’re also looking for fun local events to attend. Read on for all the top events happening this month in the the City of Oaks.
Friday October 1– Sunday October 3
Fri., October 1
- Unfolding Seed: Invocations of Transformation | Fri., Oct. 1- Sun., 3 | 7-8:30 p.m. | NCMA | $10+ | Share an enchanted evening of wonder, community, and the restorative power of art with Paperhand Puppet Intervention.
- IBMA: Bluegrass Live! | Fri., Oct. 1- Sat., 2 | 4-9:30 p.m. | Red Hat Amphitheater + Downtown Raleigh | $15+ | This year’s festival features IBMA and GRAMMY award-winning legends, top-notch emerging acts, and unforgettable collaborations.
- Big Freedia | Fri., Oct. 1 | 8 p.m. | Lincoln Theatre | $25 | Dance along to live music by Big Freedia and special guest Sexbruise?.
- Brooks & Dunn | Fri., Oct. 1 | 7 p.m. | Coastal Credit Union Music Park at Walnut Creek | $37+ | The country music duo will be performing live during their REBOOT 2021 tour.
- Triangle Oktoberfest | Fri., Oct. 1- Sat., 2 | Times vary | Koka Booth Amphitheatre | $15+ | Kick October off with an authentic German festival filled with traditional Bavarian food, beer, and family fun. 🍺
Sat., October 2
- MDR at the Market | Sat., Oct. 2 | 11 a.m.-3:00 p.m. | NCMA | Free | Watch 8 fantastic artists live draw at the Monster Drawing Rally
- Family Matinee Screening | Sat., Oct. 2 | 2-3:00 p.m. | NCMA | $5+ | Bring the family to a matinee screening of Overland.
- Men Are From Mars Women Are From Venus | Sat., Oct. 2 | 4 p.m. + 8 p.m. | Duke Energy Center for the Performing Arts | $57+ | This light-hearted theatrical comedy is based on the New York Times #1 best-selling book by John Gray.
- Finals Weekend Celebration | Sat., Oct. 2-Sun. Oct. 3 | Times vary | Church Street Park, 5800 Cricket Pitch Way, Morrisville | Free | Enjoy a full weekend of cricket at the Toyota Minor League Cricket Championship finals with food trucks, live music + other family fun.
- 3rd Annual Campbell Law School Bike Fundraiser | Sat., Oct. 2 | 8 a.m.-12 p.m. | Campbell Law School | $45 | Campbell Law School + Crabtree have teamed up for this annual bike ride fundraiser that supports the law school’s pro bono legal clinics. Bonus: every rider will be entered into a free giveaway. Ⓟ
Sun., October 3
- Friends of Greek Art Lecture | Sun. Oct. 3 | 2-3 p.m. | NCMA | Free | Join Getty Villa curator of antiquities, Kenneth Lapatin, as he discusses gems, highly valued for their exotic origins, color, and brilliance and believed to have magical properties.
- Moore Square Market | Sun. Oct. 3 | 11 a.m.-3 p.m. | Moore Square | Free | You can find farm-fresh produce, baked goods, art, live music + handmade items at the last market of the season. 🛍️
- Ziggy Marley | Sun. Oct. 3 | 7:30 p.m. | Koka Booth Amphitheater | $49+ | The oldest son of reggae great Bob Marley will be performing a live tribute to his father.
- Michael Winslow | Sun. Oct. 3 | 7 p.m. | Goodnights and Factory Restaurant, 861 W. Morgan St., Raleigh | $25+ | Listen to the “Police Academy” star, Michael Winslow perform sound effects like Jimmy Hendrix’s guitar or the roar of a jet plane.
Monday October 4–Sunday October 10
Mon., October 4
- Intro to Improv | Mon., Oct. 4 | 7 p.m.-10 p.m. | ComedyWorx, 3801 Hillsborough St., Raleigh | $200 | Learn the basic skills for short or long form improv in this 6 week course.
- Hive Tour | Mon., Oct. 4 | 11:45 a.m.-1:15 p.m. | Frontier RTP, 600 Park Offices Dr., RTP | Free | Check out bee hives in-person + learn about bees from the experts at Bee Downtown.
- Yoga in the Park | Mon., Oct. 4| Dorothea Dix Park | Free | In this all-level yoga class, practice strength + flexibility while surrounded by nature. 🧘
- Fall charcuterie 101 | Mon., Oct. 4 | The Loading Dock - Dock 1053 | $59 | Create delicious fall charcuterie while enjoying wine in this interactive workshop.
Tues., October 5
- Intro to Better Walking | Tues., Oct. 5 | 12-1 p.m. | Virtual | Free | Learn about the health benefits of walking from a local expert.
- On the Menu: Effective Communication | Tues., Oct. 5 | 12-1 p.m. | Frontier 800 | Free | Join a discussion on building trust, rapport + connection in our engagements.
- The Carolina Hurricanes | Tues., Oct 5 | 7 p.m. | PNC Arena | $19+ | Watch the Carolina Hurricanes play against the Nashville Predators at this exhibition game at home.
- Downtown Techies Raleigh Happy Hour | Tues., Oct 5 | 5-7 p.m. | Lynnwood Brewing Concern | Free | Meet + build connections with other local professionals interested in tech.
Wed., October 6
- Mindful Museum | Wed., Oct. 6 | 6-7 p.m. | NCMA | $12+ | Move your body with some outdoor yoga while surrounded by sculptures + the north courtyard’s lotus pond.
- Alice Cooper | Wed., Oct. 6 | 7:30 p.m. | Red Hat Amphitheater | $23+ | Listen to Alice Cooper perform with special guest Ace Frehley.
- Wellness Wednesday | Wed., Oct. 6 | 5-7 p.m. | Coastal Credit Union Midtown Park | $5 | Drop in to this class by OrangeTheory focused on exercising the whole body.
- Raleigh Rockers Breakdancing | Wed., Oct. 6 | 6–7 p.m. | Moore Square | Free | Watch the breakdancing group showcase their best dancing + learn new moves from experts.
- Craft it! | Wed., Oct. 6 | 10-11 a.m. | Northeast Regional Library | Free | Create and decorate your own macramé keychain.
Thurs., October 7
- Movies in the Garden | Thurs., Oct. 7 | 7 p.m. | NCMA | $1+ | Get in the spirit of the spooky season + watch the Halloween comedy, Hocus Pocus.
- Happy Hour Market | Thurs., Oct. 7 | 4:30-7:30 p.m. | Hartwell, 620 W. South St. | Free | Explore the more than 20 local vendors that will be present for Happy Hour at Hartwell.
- Alabama | Thurs., Oct. 7 | 7 p.m. | PNC Arena | $55+ | Join Alabama’s 50-year anniversary tour with special guest, Tracy Lawrence.
Fri., October 8
- The Best of North Hills | 5–9 p.m. | Coastal Credit Union Midtown Park | $10 | The Best of North Hills has returned with their comeback series filled with live music, events + drinks. 🎶
- Fall Wine Dinner on the Sky Deck | 6:30-8:30 p.m. | The Dillion | $85 | Enjoy a German fall themed wine dinner by Chef Regan Stachler.
- Moonlight Walk | 5-8 p.m. | East Regional Library | Free | Wear your costume and enter the world of Marvel Comics, DC Comics, and more while trekking through the nature trail.
- Haunted History Walking Tour | Fri., Oct. 8 | 5–6:15 p.m. | 200 N. Blount St. | Free | Check out well-known landmarks + learn our city’s history on this spooky tour through downtown. 👻
- Cinema in the Square | Fri., Oct. 8 | 6-9 p.m. | Free | Moore Square | Head out to Moore Square for pre-show entertainment and a free screening of Yesterday.
Sat., October 9
- RailHawks Throwback Night | Sat., Oct. 9 | 3 p.m. | WakeMed Soccer Park | $12 | North Carolina FC will take on the Chattanooga Red Wolves SC.
- Thomas Rhett | Sat., Oct. 9 | 7:30 p.m. | Coastal Credit Union Music Park at Walnut Creek | $38+ | Listen to Thomas Rhett perform on The Center Point Road Tour.
- Artsplosure | Sat., Oct. 9-Oct.10 | Times vary | Downtown Raleigh | Free | Celebrate various forms of art in the heart of the capital city.
- Memory is a Ritual | Sat., Oct. 9 | 11 a.m.-4 p.m. | NCMA | Free | Artists from the North Carolina Central University dance program will perform original choreography that explores rituals of lament, release, and hope.
Sun., October 10
- Portraiture as a Political Struggle | Sun., Oct. 10 | 1-2 p.m. | NCMA | Free | Hear keynote speaker Titus Brooks Heagins talk about portrait photography as a part of the Click! Photography Festival.
- Duo Catanza | Sun., Oct. 10 | 2 p.m. | First Presbyterian Church, 112 S. Salisbury St. | Free | Guitarists Scott Plato + Matthias Young perform classical music using guitars in the Vanguard room.
- MAKRS Society Market | Sun., Oct. 10 | 11 a.m.-3 p.m. | Coastal Credit Union Midtown Park, 4011 Cardinal at North Hills St. | Free | Listen to live music and visit local food trucks as you shop from 35+ local vendors.
- Matt Bergman | Sun., Oct. 10 | 7 p.m. | Goodnights Comedy Club | $20+ | End the weekend listening to stand up by Matt Bergman, who has appeared on “Gotham Comedy Live,” “Comedy Central Live,” and a Dry Bar Comedy Special.
Monday October 11–Sunday October 17
Mon., October 11
- Craft it! | Mon., Oct. 11 | 10-11 a.m. | Northeast Regional Library | Free | Create and decorate your own macramé keychain.
- Bingo Night | Mon., Oct. 11 | 7-9 p.m. | The Longleaf Hotel | Free | All game supplies provided.
- Indigenous People Day Celebration | Mon., Oct. 11 | 6-7 p.m. | The Apex Nature Park Amphitheatre, 2600 Evans Road, Apex | Free | Celebrate and honor local Indigenous People on Indigenous Peoples’ Day.
- Yoga in the Park | Mon., Oct. 11 | Dorothea Dix Park | Free | In this all-level yoga class, practice strength + flexibility while surrounded by nature. 🧘
Tues., October 12
- Tai Chi in the Park | Tues., Oct. 12 | 6-7 p.m. | NCMA | $12+ | All skill levels are welcome for individuals ages 16+ at this Mindful Museum class taught in the park.
- 9 to 5 | Oct. 12-17 | Various times | Duke Energy Center for the Performing Arts | $32.29+ | This musical, based on the film, features music by Dolly Parton + a special guest appearance by Raleigh’s own Ira David Wood III.
- What’s new in paleontology? | Tues., Oct. 12 | 1-1:45 p.m. | Virtual | Free | Join paleontologists to learn about new fossils, ancient organisms, and clues to help understand Earth’s history — registration required.
- Haunted Hidden Histories | Tues., Oct. 12 | 6:30-7:30 p.m. | Cary Regional Library, 315 Kildaire Farm Rd., Cary | Free | Learn about famous haunted locations in Wake County from WRAL’s host of Hidden History, Heather Leah.
Wed., October 13
- Jonas Brothers | Wed., Oct. 13 | 7 p.m. | Coastal Credit Union Music Park at Walnut Creek | $30+ | Enjoy a live performance by the Jonas Brothers with special guest Kelsea Ballerini.
- City Soul Cafe Open Mic | Wed., Oct. 13 | 7:30–9 p.m. | Transfer Co. Ballroom | Free | Join the City Soul team + DJ Supreme for a night of poetry, spoken word, live performances, and music.
- Raleigh Rockers Breakdancing | Wed., Oct. 13 | 6–7 p.m. | Moore Square | Free | Watch the breakdancing group showcase their best dancing + learn new moves from experts.
- Raleigh Night Market | Thurs., Oct 13| 5–9 p.m. | Smoky Hollow | Free | Spend an evening with Raleigh’s most creative artisans + shop amongst your favorite local goods. 🛍️
- Young Professionals Career Development Symposium | Wed., Oct 13 | 8:30 a.m.-12 p.m. | Virtual | $5+ | Deepen your professional skill set with this alumni event featuring keynote speakers, breakout sessions + networking opportunities. Optional happy hour at Trophy Brewing Co. from 5-6 p.m. Ⓟ
Thurs., October 14
- Canes vs. NY Islanders | Thurs., Oct. 14 | 7 p.m. | PNC Arena | $25+ | The Carolina Hurricanes are opening the seasons at home playing the NY Islanders.
- The Hollow Live | Thurs., Oct. 14 | 6:30-9:30 p.m. | Smoky Hollow, 312 W. Johnson St. | Free | Doors open at 5:30 p.m. for an outdoor concert featuring Yarn and The Nasty Habits.
- NC State Fair | Oct. 14-24 | Various times | NC State Fairgrounds | $5+ | The state fair is back this year with more livestock shows, a “Homegrown Music Fest” concert series, rides, food + more.
- Damon Sumner | Thurs., Oct. 14 | 8 p.m. | Goodnights Comedy Club | $20+ | Get a night full of laughter listening to Damon, who has shared the stage with headliners like Iliza, Brent Morin, Todd Glass, Sarah Tiana, George Wallace.
- Jazz in the Square | Thurs., Oct. 14 | 6-8 p.m. | Moore Square | Free | Artist Tumbao is joining the stage with unique jazz stylings. 🎷
- The Legend of Sleepy Hollow & Other Haunted Tales | Thurs., Oct. 14-Sun., Oct. 31 | 7:30-9 p.m. | Fletcher Opera Theater At Duke Energy Center For The Performing Arts, 2 E. South St. | $25+ | Live performances return in time for Halloween with Artistic Director Zalman Raffael’s The Legend of Sleepy Hollow. Ⓟ
Fri., October 15
- Disc Golf Glow Tournament | Fri., Oct. 15 | 6-9 p.m. | Apex Nature Park, 2600 Evans Rd., Apex | $10 | Compete in 1 of 3 categories of this unique disc golf tournament — registration required.
- Zac Brown Band | Fri., Oct. 15 | 7 p.m. | Coastal Credit Union Music Park at Walnut Creek | $36.50 | Get your little bit of chicken fried + cold beer for this Friday night and hear the band play The Comeback Tour.
- NC Symphony Opening Weekend | Oct. 15-16 | 8 p.m. | Duke Energy Center for the Performing Arts | Various prices | Hear the symphony perform Dvořák: Symphony No. 9 “From the New World” in the Meymandi Concert Hall.
- Chad Daniels | Oct. 15-16 | Various times | Goodnights Comedy Club | $28+ | Chad has over 700 million streams of his 4 albums + has performed on “The Tonight Show with Conan O’Brien.”
- Cinema in the Square | Fri., Oct. 15 | 6-9 p.m. | Free | Moore Square | Head out to Moore Square for pre-show entertainment and a free screening of Dreamgirls.
Sat., October 16
- Brett Eldredge | Sat., Oct. 16 | 7:30 p.m. | Red Hat Amphitheater | $25+ | Catch this country artist’s Good Day Tour.
- Falling for Local | Sat., Oct. 16 | 11 a.m.-6 p.m. | Dorothea Dix Park | Free | Head to The Big Field for live music, local vendors, NC craft beer, food trucks, kids activities, hayrides + a free pumpkin patch.
- NC Wine Festival | Sat., Oct. 16 | 11 a.m.-6 p.m. | Koka Booth Amphitheatre | $45+ | This festival offers over 30 NC wineries to sample, live entertainment from Chairmen of the Board + more.
- Salvador Dali: The Argillet Collection | Oct. 16-17 | Various times | LaMantia Gallery, 440 Daniels St. | $45+ | Meet Madame Christine Argillet, daughter of Salvador Dali’s legendary publisher and confidante Pierre Argillet, during this scheduled appearance.
Sun., October 17
- NCMA Dance Gumbo | Oct. 17 | 10 a.m.-11 a.m. | NCMA | Free | Workout in a group aerobics class that incorporates a mixture of dance moves like Zumba and hip-hop.
- Creative Processing | Oct. 17 | 2 p.m.-3 p.m.| NCMA | Free | Bring your family to this workshop + reflect on ideas about the world through art.
- Tech Conference | Oct. 17-19 | 1 p.m. | Raleigh Convention Center, 500 S. Salisbury St. | Free | Learn more about the processes, tools, and people behind Open Source.
- Black Flea Market | Sun., Sept. 19 | 1–5 p.m. | Raleigh Union Station | Free | Join 30+ Black-owned businesses and vendors with gifts, clothing, treats, and more. 🛍️
Monday October 18–Sunday October 24
Mon., October 18
- Trivia Night | Mon., Oct. 18 | 6 p.m. | Ponysaurus Brewing | Free | Grab a pint + test your knowledge of useless information — no phones allowed.
- Elvis Costello | Oct. 18 | 7:30 p.m. | Duke Energy Center for the Performing Arts | $57+ | Enjoy a live performance by award-winning singer Elvis Costello.
- RIoT LXIV - IoT Demo Night: The World’s Largest Chain | Oct. 18 | 5-8 p.m. | Raleigh Convention Center | Free | Hear from blockbuster speakers and see 50+ live demos.
- Board of Commissioners Meeting | Oct. 18 | 2-4 p.m. | Wake County Justice Center | Free | The board will discuss topics including the increase in call demand for the Wake County EMS.
Tues., October 19
- Raleigh Historic Development Commission Meeting | Tues., Oct. 19 | 7:45-9:45 p.m. | Virtual | Free | The Commission will meet to discuss
- City Council Afternoon Session | Tues., Oct. 19 | | 1–4 p.m. | Virtual | Free | Raleigh City Council will meet to handle city-related business + is open to the public.
- STEAM Career Showcase for Students with Disabilities | Tues., Oct. 19 | 1-3:30 p.m. | Virtual | Free | An opportunity for students grades 6-12 to connect with role models with disabilities who have thriving careers in the fields of science, technology, engineer, arts + math. Ⓟ
- Charleston Open Source Virtual Career Fair | Tues., Oct. 19 | 11 a.m.-12:30 p.m. | Virtual | Free | Meet some of Charleston’s top tech companies and learn more about available positions + how to grow your career in Charleston’s tech industry. Ⓟ
Wed., October 20
- Raleigh Rockers Breakdancing | Wed., Oct. 20 | 6-7 p.m. | Moore Square | Free | Watch the breakdancing group showcase their best dancing + learn new moves from experts.
Thurs., October 21
- Modest Mouse | Thurs., Oct. 21 | 7:30 p.m. | Red Hat Amphitheater | $24+ | Rock out to Modest Mouse with special guest Empath.
- RDU Airport Authority Meeting | Thurs., Oct. 21 | 1 p.m. | Virtual | Free | On the third Thursday of each month, the Authority Board committee meets to discuss airport-related topics. ✈️
- Raleigh Night Market | Thurs., Oct. 21 | 5-9 p.m. | 225 E. Martin St. | Free | Spend an evening with Raleigh’s most creative artisans + shop amongst your favorite local goods. 🛍️
- SAGE Thursday Morning Drop-In | Thurs., Oct. 21 | 10-11:30 a.m. | Virtual | Free | SAGE is hosting morning coffee with the LGBT Center of Raleigh.
Fri., October 22
- Haunted History Walking Tour | Fri., Oct. 22 | 5–6:15 p.m. | 200 N. Blount St. | Free | Check out well-known landmarks + learn our city’s history on this spooky tour through downtown. 👻
- Cinema in the Square | Fri., Oct. 22 | 6-9 p.m. | Free | Moore Square | Head out to Moore Square for pre-show entertainment and a free screening of Pitch Perfect.
Sat., October 23
- Yoga and Mimosas | Sat., Oct. 23 | 11 a.m.–12 p.m. | Dogwood Bar & Eatery, 610 Glenwood Ave. | $13 | Oak City Yoga is holding an outdoor yoga class for all levels + serving mimosas afterward. 🧘
- Public Art Walking Tour | Sat., Sept. 25 | 10:30–11:45 a.m. | 127 W. Hargett St. | Free | This walking tour takes you through Raleigh’s public art scene + best murals.
Sun., October 24
- Black Farmers Market | Sun., Oct. 24 | 1-4 p.m. | Southeast Raleigh YMCA, 1436 Rock Quarry Rd | Free | Black Farmers Market is bringing fresh foods from farms directly to customers.
- Triangle Throwdown NC Arcadian | Sun., Oct. 24 | 11 a.m. | Sheraton Raleigh Hotel, 421 S. Salisbury St. | $5+ | This esports tournament will feature Big Brother Doubles and Arcadian singles — payment will be on site and cash only.
Monday October 25–Sunday October 31
Mon., October 25
- Carolina Hurricanes | Mon., Oct. 25 | 7 p.m. | PNC Arena | $20+ | Watch the Canes face off against the Toronto Maple Leafs at home in PNC Arena.
- Yoga in the Park | Mon., Oct. 25 | Dorothea Dix Park | Free | In this all-level yoga class, practice strength + flexibility while surrounded by nature. 🧘
Tues., October 26
- Michael Bublé | Tues., Oct. 26 | 8 p.m. | PNC Arena | $65+ | Rescheduled from August, Michael is performing the “An Evening With Michael Bublé Tour.”
- Safe, Vibrant & Health Community Meeting | Tues., Oct. 26 | 11:30 a.m.–12:30 p.m. | Virtual | Free | The public is invited to this meeting to discuss Raleigh’s community safety + health.
Wed., October 27
- Mini Haunted Mansions | Wed., Oct. 27 | 9 a.m.–12 p.m. | Paint Paper Paste Art Studio, 9113 Leesville Rd. | $50 | Kids ages 5-10 can create miniature haunted mansions on this Teacher Workday.
- Raleigh Rockers Breakdancing | Wed., Oct. 27 | 6-7 p.m. | Moore Square | Free | Watch the breakdancing group showcase their best dancing + learn new moves from experts.
Thurs., October 28
- Star Wars & More | Oct. 28-30 | Various times | Duke Energy Center for the Performing Arts | Various prices | Start Hallo-weekend off right with the NC Symphony playing iconic music from Harry Potter, E.T., Star Wars, Jurassic Park + more.
- Canes vs. Boston Bruins | Thurs., Oct. 28 | 7 p.m. | PNC Arena | $30+ | Join fellow Caniacs to watch the Carolina Hurricanes play at home against the Boston Bruins.
- Dark Raleigh Walking Tour | Oct. 28-29 | 5:30 p.m. | City of Raleigh Museum, 220 Fayetteville St. | $30+ | Get in the Halloween spirit by learning about the dark side of Raleigh’s history on this true death, true crime tour.
- History + Highballs | Thurs., Oct. 28 | 7 p.m. | Virtual | Free | The Ghost Guild explains the haunted history of the oldest home in Raleigh as Mordecai’s exclusive paranormal research team.
Fri., October 29
- The 4th Annual Rocky Horror Picture Show Halloween Ball | Fri., Oct. 29-Sat., Oct. 30 | 7:30 p.m. | $12+ | The Carolina Theatre | This isn’t your typical movie screening — Retro presents a full-theatrical, FX-driven, light show-blazing, fog-blowing, call-backing, motion picture extravaganza.
- Cinema in the Square | Fri., Oct. 29 | 6-9 p.m. | Free | Moore Square | Head out to Moore Square for pre-show entertainment and a free screening of The Nightmare Before Christmas.
Sat., October 30
- Spellbound Square | Sat., Oct. 30 | 10 a.m.-3 p.m. | Moore Square | Free | Encounter mysterious creatures and amazing magicians, have your fortune told, create spooky crafts, and decorate a pumpkin.
- Inter-Tribal Pow Wow | Sat., Oct. 30 | 10 a.m.-6:30 p.m. | Dorothea Dix Park | Free | The community is invited to experience a day of competition dancing, music, and vendors showcasing the culture of NC Indigenous.
Sun., October 31
- The Fritz Halloween Party | Sun., Oct. 31 | 9:30 p.m. | The Pour House Music Hall & Record Shop | $12+ | Spend Halloween night gettin down with the soul driven dance rock sounds of The Fritz.
- Pink Martini with China Forbes | Sun., Oct. 31 | 8-11 p.m. | NCMA | $41+ | Cats Cradle and NCMA are bringing this band, featuring a dozen musicians with songs in 25 languages, back to Raleigh.